Monday, March 26, 2012

Meditation Frustration

I've learned a few things about meditating lately:

1. Do NOT light a candle. Migraines will ensue (smoke of any kind being a major trigger).

2. It's impossible to meditate when other people are home, because someone is bound to come knock on your door at least once.

3. Turn everything to "silent" mode, except the music.

4. This whole altar thing really isn't doing it for me.

5. When meditation/prayer actually works out, and I'm able to get into the "zone" uninterrupted, I do get some pretty nice insight. I have been praying a lot for guidance lately, because of some developments in my life, and found that thinking things through while meditating and praying helps me hone in on what decisions to make, and how I really feel about things.

So, I think I'll put meditation away for the most part for right now, unless I'm home alone. Since that rarely happens, I don't think it will be a big part of my spiritual life right now. I'm just not in a place in my life where I feel it will be the most beneficial. I'm going to go back to module 3, which was where I mostly left off, and try to get as much out of them as I can, without having the meditation focal point. Someday, when I live by myself again, I will likely bring all of this back out and try again. I feel like it could be really helpful not only in my spiritual life, but in my professional life, being able to bring myself to center before auditions and performances.

Another issue I've been running into was just designating time to meditate. I've been struggling with time management since I left school last May, and have been unemployed. It was so easy to create a schedule when you had certain things at certain times every day, and had to plan around them. I don't have that anymore. However, I just got a job for the summer, so I'm hoping I can come up with some sort of routine. Perhaps I'll include meditation in that routine, at least a couple times a week.

2 comments:

  1. I've always struggled with it, too, and have yet to make it a significant part of my life. Perhaps one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought "meditation for dummies." I'm hoping to gain some insights and advice! I'll probably share if I do.

      Delete