Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Family love

Something happened a few days ago that still fills my heart to the brim with love and joy, and it was such a simple little thing. But I can't get it out of my head, so I thought I'd share. It definitely falls into the category of "moment of grace."

This is my 2 1/2 year old nephew. He is rather tall for his age, however, that is a mini french horn that I acquired a couple of years ago. He was too scared to touch my full-size horn, but when I pulled this out, he fell in love. He put his right hand in the bell, and his left hand where you see it, without me having to instruct him! He then proceeded to blow into the mouthpiece (with a very good set-up, if I might add), and make some nice little sounds. He grinned after every sound, and told us happily that he had just played "Twinkle Twinkle" or "ABC" or some other song that is generally longer than one note. This occupied a good hour of our time, and I loved every second of it.

I've never wanted to teach my instrument, not to anyone. But I had this moment where I wanted to teach him how to play so badly I could hardly contain it. I wanted to share this incredibly important part of myself with him. Since he's 2, that's not really possible right now. But maybe someday... I have hope. He already shows talent. He even created a "trombone" out of a little slide whistle, and ran around the house saying "trombone!" and playing a little note. It's pretty freaking adorable.

But the really important thing happened later that evening. We were all together celebrating my grandfather's 88th birthday, and had gone out to dinner. My older brother (this kid's father) found out as we were leaving the restaurant that a friend's father had just passed away. He knew the man very well, and was obviously upset. Patrick told his mom that Daddy looks sad, and reached out, transferring to my brother's arms, and said "It's ok, Daddy." I about started to weep.

When we got back to the house, they decided Patrick would stay with us while Mommy and Daddy went to the hospital for their friend. Mommy was about to read him a bedtime story, but I asked him if I could read to him. Normally, when I ask if I can do something with him, he immediately says "no" and won't do it. But he climbed out of Mommy's lap, and ran over and climbed up in mine. I got to read him two bedtime stories as he cuddled on my lap.

I really can't describe what I was feeling during that moment, because I've never felt it before. I can only assume it's what would be called a "maternal" feeling, however I've never felt particularly maternal before, so I don't know. All I do know is that I felt so much love for that child, and could feel his little 2-year old self full of love, joy, curiosity, and all other toddler feelings, and it was just a happy moment.

I never realized bedtime stories about Thomas the tank engine and the Bernstein Bears could be so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment