Sunday, February 12, 2012

Path of Faith


For our first project, we were to make a path of faith. We were to take a piece of paper and in one corner write "Born" with a circle around it. In the opposite corner, we were to do the same with "Died." In between, we were supposed to write events that changed the course of our lives, or played an important role in our lives, draw circles around them, and draw a line connecting the circles. We were then to somehow label our faith practices at the time of each event, traveling through our lives. Finally, we were to write a big x with "You are Here!" designating where we are currently on our paths.

I've never been anything but Christian, but my faith has morphed throughout the years. I started childhood as United Methodist, happy in that faith as children usually are. Once middle school hit, I met some friends who were from the "real" churches, and was told that even though I'd believed in Jesus my entire life, I wasn't a "real" christian because I hadn't sat down and said the right sentence to invite him into my heart. So, I did. Therefore, I converted to a religion I already believed in. But, that's neither here nor there. I became one of those uppity snobby christians, and happily told others all about Jesus and how they might be going to hell if they didn't believe in him. I even told my best friend in High School that I was going to get her to convert if it's the last thing I do (she never did, and honestly, I'm glad). Towards the end of high school I started realizing I really didn't like being like that, and that's not the kind of faith I truly believe in. I also went on a mission/work trip to an orphanage in Guatemala, which changed my perspective on... well... everything. So, I started moving away from that, and became what I think of as a liberal Christian, or a hippie christian. College saw frequent periods of doubt, and I had stopped attending church all together. I still went on yearly mission trips to Guatemala, and have been 6 times. I finally realized that God is real, but he has a different relationship with each and every person. I cannot judge how anyone worships, or doesn't worship. It's up to God. So I now think of myself as a Wandering Christian, because even though I still adhere to the label, I think many christians would shun me for what I believe. But I think God and I are ok.

4 comments:

  1. The bits about being a 'Wandering Christian' sound really familiar. Sounds like how I am with God. We're cool, but it's definitely not a mainstream Christianity sort of thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I've always trended toward the Christian side, mostly because it's all I have really known. It's also just always felt like the right path for me. The only thing that has really changed is my perspective of people on other paths. I now believe that what is right for me isn't right for everyone, and that's ok, whereas I once would have believed everyone else is going to Hell. I'm really glad that changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Begin middle child syndrome!? :D And I made your timeline. Sweet!

    The most important part of faith to me is the relationship between you and God. Which means that your last bit about you and God being OK is the part that matters the most. You will never be able to make everyone else happy with your faith.

    Also, I hope that your line is much, much longer before death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was mostly to show that I was a middle child. I couldn't include my older brother's birth, since he was born before I was, and therefore not on my timeline.

    Of course you're on my timeline, K-dawg. We were supposed to include any events that had an impact on our spiritual journey, and you have definitely impacted mine. Not all at once, but through the years, so therefore, have been added.

    I gave up trying to make other people happy with my faith a long time ago. I feel more "at home" in my faith right now than I ever did before, and that is indescribably comforting.

    ReplyDelete